Roasted Beet & Black Pepper Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts
Roasted Beet & Black Pepper Goat Cheese Salad
Beet Salad with goat cheese is one of my favourites! To me the best beet salad is very simple and requires a few ingredients. The flavor of beets pairs really well with the sharp, distinct flavors of peppered goat cheese. A simple balsamic vinaigrette adds some tang, without overpowering the flavor of the beets. You can serve the beets on arugula, mixed salad greens or baby spinach.
- 3 large beets peeled and cubed
- 4 ounces black pepper goat cheese crumbled
- 2 Oz. toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (white if you have it)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chopped Chives for garnish
How to Roast Beets:
Beets can be roasted whole, without peeling. Rinse and scrub your beets to remove any dirt or debris. Wrap beets whole, individually, with aluminum foil. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 30 to 60 minutes until tender. The amount of cooking time will depend on the size of the beets. Once tender, unwrap and remove the peels. Then you can easily slice or cube the beets for eating.
How to Toast Walnuts in the Oven
Preheat an oven to 375 F. While the oven heats, lay the walnuts on a baking sheet (you can line it with foil or parchment paper for easy clean-up). Make sure to only roast as many walnuts as fit on the pan in a single layer—ideally, a single layer with some space between the walnuts so there's room for hot air to circulate around them evenly. When the oven is heated, roast the walnuts until they just start to brown and smell toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
Again, they go from toasted to burnt very quickly, so start checking them after 5 minutes; then check them every minute until you notice them starting to brown and they smell nutty. Their residual heat will continue to toast the walnuts as they start to cool, so be sure to pull them out of the oven as soon as you notice a color change. Let the walnuts cool completely before chopping or using.
- Roast Beets as per instructions above, peel, cube and place in bowl
- In separate bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt, whisk to combine.
- Pour over Beets
- Crumble black pepper goat cheese into bowl
- Mix well and top with Toasted walnuts
- Garnish with chopped chives
You may serve this on Arugula, Spring Mix or Baby Spinach if desired