Lemon & Black Pepper Cod Foil Packs
Here is a recipe that we used to make quite often when a was a chef at fishing lodges in the Canadian North. Hope you enjoy!
Chef Scott’s Lemon & Black Pepper Cod Foil Packs
- 1-pound fresh cod, cut into 2 portions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 lemon cut into 8 slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup carrots, cut into sticks about 3” long and ¼ inch
- ½ cup yellow zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 8 baby potatoes, quartered
- ½ red pepper cut into strips
- 4 mushrooms, quartered
- 2 slices red onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut four 18-inch pieces of foil, place two sheets together and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut fish into 2 serving pieces.
- Combine cut vegetables, olive oil, garlic and paprika in a bowl, season with salt & pepper and stir to coat.
- Arrange half of vegetable mixture in center of each piece of foil to form a rectangle
- Place lemon slices on top of vegetables then add thyme sprigs
- Season fish generously with salt & pepper and place on lemons
- Fold foil over fish and vegetables so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again. Allow space on sides for circulation and expansion.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until fish flakes with fork and vegetables are tender. Place packets on plates. Cut large X across top of each packet, fold back foil.
Chef Tip - When you open the foil packet, keep the opening pointed away from you because extremely hot steam collects inside during cooking, and the steam could burn you.