Grilled Shrimp & Avocado Salad
This quick, easy and tasty salad is perfect enjoy on a hot summer evening. If you have never tried grilled romaine lettuce before you are in for a treat the smokiness adds a wonderful flavour dimension. I love to pair it with a crisp, herbaceous glass of Sauvingnon Blanc.
For the shrimp:
- 2 shrimp skewers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons olive oil,
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 3 hearts of romaine (Sliced down the center with end intact)
- 2 ears of corn, husked
- 1 red bell peppers
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced (optional)
- 2 -3 cups of grape tomatoes, sliced into length wise
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Shrimp:Add the parsley, garlic, lemon zest, olive oil and salt in a bowl and stir to mix. Brush onto both sides of the shrimp. Let marinade for 10-15 minutes while you chop all the veggies and prepare the dressing. Brush with mixture once again just before grilling.
- Vinaigrette: Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of honey with a pinch of salt. Continue whisking as you stream in the olive oil. Taste and adjust with an additional tablespoon of honey if you prefer your dressing a little sweeter.
- Grilling:Preheat the grill and spray with cooking spray if desired. Grill time will vary for the ingredients so start with the corn. Spray the corn with cooking spray, season with a pinch of salt and roast, turning every 4-5 minutes for about 15-18 minutes total. Add the whole bell pepper next and grill for 1 minute or longer if you'd like it to char a bit. Add the shrimp skewers near the end of cooking time, they'll take about 2-3 minutes per side. Spray the romaine hearts with cooking spray and sprinkle with a tiny pinch of salt, grill for about 2-3 minute on each side.
- Assemble:Add the chopped cucumbers, avocados, and tomatoes to a large salad bowl. Remove the stem from the romaine hearts and chop. Chop the corn kernels off the cobb. Dice the bell pepper. Add all the ingredients to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Serve immediately.
- Chicken will work well instead of shrimp for this recipe. You can simply grill the boneless chicken breasts or thighs and dice before adding to the salad. Note that the cooking time will be slightly longer for chicken breasts/thighs than shrimp